Tottenham 3-1 Aston Villa, RESULT: Harry Kane’s late double put away stubborn Premier League new boys
- John McGinn scored against run of play to give Aston Villa early surprise lead
- Tanguy Ndombele equalised with 17 minutes to play on Spurs debut
- Late Harry Kane double saw Spurs wrestle game away from top flight new boys
- Tottenham XI: Lloris, Walker-Peters, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Rose, Sissoko, Winks (Eriksen), Ndombele (Skipp), Lamela (Nkoudou), Kane, Lucas Moura
- Aston Villa XI: Heaton, Elmohamady, Mings, Engels, Taylor, McGinn, Hourihane (Douglas Luiz), Trezeguet (Jota), Grealish, El Ghazi, Wesley (Kodija)
- READ: Full Premier League match report from the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
As Tottenham, pushed, and probed – looking for any way through Aston Villa – a lonely figure stood at the opposite end of their vast new home.
Christian Erisken had been jogging, stretching, and watching on for a while when eventually, with half an hour to play, Mauricio Pochettino had seen enough. The midfielder could still leave this summer but his arrival was greeted with huge cheers from the Tottenham faithful.
Dean Smith’s side will be confident they can gives Spurs a strong challenge after adding 12 new players for a whopping £137.5m to bolster their squad.
However Spurs who will targeting silverware more than ever this year boast new signings Tanguy Ndombele, Giovani lo Celso and Ryan Sessegnon.
Sportsmail’s Dan Ripley will provide live EPL coverage of Tottenham vs Aston Villa including score, lineups and build-up.