The French striker announced at the end of the 2018/19 season that he was drawing the curtain on his five-year stay in the Spanish capital
The French striker announced at the end of the 2018-19 season that he was drawing the curtain on his five-year stay in the Spanish capital.
And the 28-year-old has been heavily linked with a switch to Camp Nou in recent months, although both Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain have also been linked with the World Cup winner.
However, speaking to Sport on Wednesday night, Atletico CEO Marin said: “We have known since March that Griezmann is going to Barcelona.”
Whilst on international duty earlier this week, Griezmann confirmed his new club would be revealed in the coming days.
“There’s a need for patience, as it’s still soon,” he said. “I want my future to be decided more than anyone, but there’s a need to wait.
“I don’t know if I’ll remain in Spain. Maybe in two weeks we’ll know something. I just want to play football and have fun.”
Griezmann was strongly linked with a move to Barcelona last summer but he eventually opted to stay with Atletico, releasing an expensively-created video to confirming his decision to stay in Madrid.
But that changed this transfer window when he confirmed he would be leaving the club he has been at since he joined from Real Sociedad in 2014.
“It’s been an incredible five years; Thank you very much for everything, I take you in the heart,” Griezmann said.
The Frenchman scored 133 goals in 257 games for Diego Simeone’s side, but he is now set to form a formidable strike trio with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez at Camp Nou.