Dozens of holidaymakers have been forced to cancel their dream holiday to Greece after the five-star hotel they were meant to be staying in is still being built.
The five star TUI Sensimar Meltemi Blu, in Santorini, Greece, promised guests a luxury stay, replete with a ‘gourmet eatery’ and ‘chic bars’.
But the first sunseekers due to fly out to the popular tourist destination at the start of May were left disappointed, after finding out the hotel was still being built.
And others who have booked the same luxury break for June, are now concerned their holidays will be cancelled as well, after pictures taken today show the hotel is still under construction.
One holidaymaker, who had her break cancelled with seven days’ notice said she was ‘shocked’ when she saw the condition of the hotel and that communication from TUI has been ‘atrocious.’
A photo of the five star TUI Sensimar Meltemi Blu, in Santorini, Greece, taken this morning. It was scheduled to open in early May
Cath and Paul Dover renewed their wedding vows this month and booked themselves a special break away to celebrate 36 years together
But the first sunseekers due to fly out to the popular tourist destination at the start of May were left disappointed, after finding out the hotel was still being built (pictured, the hotel today)
The 58-year-old who did not want to be named, said: ‘I booked last summer to come this year May 21st but after numerous online chats, phone calls , and even a complaint form written to which this day no response, I was cancelled one week before I went!
‘I got my money back and managed to book another hotel not the 5 star promised hotel!
‘When cancelled I suddenly realised the stress that I had been suffering as it was like a weight off my shoulders.
‘I feel sorry for the people who have booked weddings here this summer.
‘There is no water in the pools. It will look amazing when done but TUI need to apologise and own up to it not being ready. I received no compensation at all!
‘The stress it has caused me and my fellow holidaymakers is unbelievable!’
David Starkie was due to head out to the luxury hotel on May 9, with his wife Tracy, but also had his break cancelled at the last minute, after being told the hotel was not ready yet.
The 65-year-old, described the communication from TUI as ‘appalling’ and said they received no apology from the holiday group.
A picture of the hotel taken today. Some construction machinery can be seen in the distance
The hotel pictured today. A number of holidaymakers have had their break cancelled and others booked in June are unsure if the hotel will be ready in time
He said: ‘I have never seen anything like it, it was absolutely terrible. However you contact them, whether its by social media, email or phone, they just come back to you with a standard reply, you get no information.
‘They got in touch about a week or 10 days prior to us heading out saying we are not going, but didn’t get any apology.’
Mr Starkie was also not offered any compensation but has now re-booked and is due to stay at the hotel later in July.
Other holidaymakers heading out in June are still uncertain if the hotel will be ready in time for their trip.
Cath and Paul Dover renewed their wedding vows this month and booked themselves a special break away at the hotel for June 13 to celebrate 36 years together.
They said: ‘This was a special holiday and somewhere we had always wanted to go … we picked this hotel as it looked so special.
‘We are due to fly on 13th June. I have spoken to TUI verbally on two occasions but got nowhere.
‘I’ve e-mailed and messaged several times but I just keep getting told its opening on 1st June.
‘I’ve told them I do not want to go if the hotel is not complete and fully operational.
‘This is causing us stress when we should be enjoying the run up to our special holiday.’
On the TUI website the description for the resort says: ‘The TUI SENSIMAR Meltemi Blu’s setting the bar high on the luxury front, with an al fresco yoga space, a trio of chic bars and a gourmet eatery.
‘This adults-only hotel’s going to step onto the scene in 2019, showing off seriously contemporary style inside and out. It’s setting up less than a minute’s wander from a spacious swathe of beach, too.
‘Down there you’ll most likely find hammocks and loungers dotting the black sand.
You’ll be on the edge of Perissa’s town centre, which lines up classy restaurants and late-night bars.
‘The site of Ancient Thira’s a 30-minute hike away. For daytrips, catch a water taxi and head around the bay to Kamari, or hop in a 20-minute taxi to Thira – the island’s capital.
‘This is a brand new property so no TripAdvisor rating exists for it yet.
A spokesman for TUI said: ‘We can confirm that there have been issues at the port in Santorini which have affected the delivery of materials and subsequently the opening of the TUI SENSIMAR Meltemi Blu in Perissa, Santorini has been delayed.
‘The planned opening date is now 4th June 2019. We are very sorry for this and the disappointment caused to customers who were due to travel before this date. We can confirm that all these customers were contacted as soon as we were made aware of the delay.
‘We are not anticipating a further delay but should this happen, we will be in direct contact with all TUI customers due to travel to discuss alternative options.’