I have loved cooked cabbage since I was a kid. Unfortunately, my own kids don’t enjoy it as much as I do. So, plain cooked cabbage is usually a no-go in my house. But, I did find this fantastic stuffed cabbage rolls recipe that they do love.
What’s In This Stuffed Cabbage Recipe?
I think that the ingredients in this recipe, aside from the cabbage, is what made it such a hit with my family. Aside from cooked cabbage leaves, this recipe also has:
- Minced Beef – I Used Ground Beef
- Homemade Tomato Sauce
- And Loads Of Spices And Seasonings
This Is The Simplest Cabbage Rolls Recipe Ever!
Honestly, this recipe takes so little time to prepare, and it gives you a wholesome and tasty dinner option. It only takes about half an hour to get ready for the oven, and then you have over an hour to prepare your sides or desserts.
What Goes Good With Stuffed Cabbage?
Anything! I did a salad and some steamed broccoli and cauliflower, but you could honestly pair this with any side that you have in mind. My kids love this macaroni and cheese recipe, and the next time I make stuffed cabbage, that will be my go-to side dish.
How Do You Blanch Cabbage For Cabbage Rolls?
This is the easiest part. To prepare your cabbage leaves, you just drop the entire head of cabbage into boiling water and leave it there until the leaves are pliable. I didn’t even remove the core first – just drop in the entire head and let it boil until the leaves are ready.
How Long Can Uncooked Cabbage Rolls Stay In The Fridge?
That’s another great thing about this cabbage rolls recipe. You can prepare this ahead of time and let it sit covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it.
You could even add this recipe to your meal prep list. Freeze the cabbage rolls in tightly sealed bags and then mix up the sauce and bake when you’re ready to use them. It’s like an excellent freezer casserole recipe, and it will keep in the freezer for months.
Printable Recipe Card and Instructions
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 20 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 50 minutes
For The Rolls:
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 pound (500 g) of minced beef
- ½ cup of cooked rice
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. of mustard
- 1 tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
For The Sauce:
- 14 oz. (400 g) of tomato puree
- ¼ cup of tomato paste
- ½ cup of broth (Chicken or veggie – your preference)
- 1 tbsp. of brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Boil a whole head of cabbage until leaves are soft enough to peel off (about 5 minutes for the small spring cabbage up to 10-15 minutes for bigger ones).
- Combine minced beef with rice, onion, garlic, sauce, and mustard.
- Remove cooked cabbage and let it cool down. Make a slice near the stem and peel the leaf off carefully.
- Place 2 heaping tbsps. of beef filling on the bottom of the cabbage leaf and roll, grabbing both sides as shown on the video.
- Mix ingredients for the sauce in a medium pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour ¼ cup of the sauce on the bottom of the baking pan, place cabbage rolls over and cover with leftover sauce. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 226 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 45mg Sodium: 169mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 9g Protein: 18g
Pin This Recipe: