I love lasagna, but I don’t love the carbs that are often included in this favored Italian dish. I have been trying so hard lately to lower my daily carb intake, and lasagna just doesn’t fit into my new low-carb lifestyle….until now. This cabbage lasagna uses cabbage leaves instead of pasta, so it’s low in carbs and oh my goodness is it tasty!
What Makes This Cabbage Lasagna Low Carb?
If you have done any research on the topic, you know that pasta is a no-go if you want to avoid a lot of carbs. This cabbage lasagna recipe doesn’t use pasta, so the only carbs that you get are from the tomato puree and onions, and those are negligible amounts.
How To Make Cabbage Roll Lasagna Even Healthier
The cabbage instead of pasta makes this cabbage lasagna really low in carbs. If you wanted to lower the carbs even more, you could try:
- Low Carb Marinara – Instead of the tomato puree
- Onion Powder – Instead of onion
- Italian Sausage – This is low in carbs too, but gives it a really different taste
What To Serve With Cabbage Lasagna
Of course, if you are doing keto, then traditional garlic bread is out as a side for this one. Instead, try:
- Cauliflower Cheese Sticks
- Side Salad
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Any Steamed Vegetables
There are so many low carb recipes that are great for those of you who are following keto, or those of you who just want to lower your overall carb intake. This is a great way to lose weight, and this cabbage lasagna is the perfect dinner for the entire family.
Printable Recipe Card.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 small head of spring cabbage
- 2 tbsps. of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound (500 g) of ground beef
- 14 oz. (400 g) of tomato puree
- 1 tbsp. of dried basil
- 2 cups of ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup of parmesan cheese
- 2 cups of mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Separate cabbage leaves and cut out the hard stem part.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté onions for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic and basil, then add ground beef and break it apart with a wooden spoon. When the meat is no longer pink, pour in tomato puree, add salt and pepper to taste and heat everything through until the sauce gets thicker.
- Meanwhile combine ricotta with parmesan cheese, eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Spread some of the meat sauce over the bottom of your baking dish, cover with cabbage leaves, then more tomato sauce, ricotta mixture and finally sprinkle a little bit of mozzarella on top. Repeat all of the layers until you fill up the baking dish completely.
- Bake for 40 minutes and serve warm.
6 servings 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 550 Total Fat: 35g Saturated Fat: 16g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 188mg Sodium: 504mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Protein: 43g
Pin this Recipe:
Recipes by DIYnCrafts Team
What’s Your Favorite Low-Carb Dinner Recipe?