Stoke considering sacking Saido Berahino for gross misconduct after he was charged with drink-driving having told them he was too ill to train
- Ex-England Under-21 striker charged with drink-driving after arrest on Monday
- Berahino told police he was taking evasive action from group who attacked him
- Berahino had missed last Stoke training session before incident through illness
- The Championship club have been deeply angered by his latest indiscretion
Stoke are exploring the possibility of sacking Saido Berahino amid the fallout from his drink-driving case.
The club have decided to weigh up the drastic action after being deeply angered by his latest indiscretion.
Industry experts think such a decision would be difficult to enact but Stoke want to find out if Berahino’s behaviour counts as gross misconduct.
Saido Berahino was charged with drink driving and alleges he was fleeing a gang
West Brom (2011-16): 121 games (36 goals)
Northampton (2011, loan): 15 (6)
Brentford (2012, loan): 8 (4)
Peterborough (2012, loan): 10 (2)
Stoke (2016-): 56 (5)
Total: 211 (53)
England U16-20 (2009-14): 36 (14)
England U21 (2013-15): 11 (10)
Burundi (2018-): 4 (1)
The striker’s contract runs until 2022, which equates to more than £6million in total, and there is a belief the club would not get close to that figure in a transfer fee, so making him a free agent would represent business sense.
Senior members of the club are aware of Sunderland’s response last year to Darron Gibson’s charge for drink-driving, when the midfielder’s contract was ripped up.
Stoke temporarily suspended Berahino on Tuesday after his arrest at 3am on Monday morning in Bloomsbury, a short distance from VQ restaurant where the 25-year-old had been dining. Berahino said he was taking evasive action from a group who had attacked him.
He has been charged with being drunk in control of a motor vehicle an is due to appear before Highbury Corner Magistrates on Wednesday March 6.
The striker’s contract runs until 2022, which equates to more than £6million in total
The incident occurred outside of 24-hour restaurant and bar, VQ, in Bloomsbury, London
Berahino has now been re-instated by Stoke but is training alone at the club’s Clayton Wood complex.
Stoke are especially angry with him over the incident because, as revealed by Sportsmail, he had called in sick to miss training before last Saturday’s game at Ipswich and was due to play for the Under-23s against Manchester United on Monday night.
Nathan Jones has taken a very dim view on this latest incident, with Berahino previously late for team meetings and training, and is set to send him out of Stoke’s first-team squad for the rest of the season.
There are those close to Berahino who believe he is in need of pastoral care.